Modified on: Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 3:14 AM
App Not Opening on Android - Troubleshooting Guide
Everything about the opening of the Android App is configured via the following 3 components:
1. Branch link
2. App's Android Manifest file
3. App Link settings on Dashboard->Link settings->Android redirects
Step 1: Make sure you have followed our documentation to set up the Android SDK
a. Fill up the Android App's package name and URL on the Dashboard->Link settings->Android redirects.
b. Add Branch link in the Intent-Filter of the Launcher Activity.
(You can copy the exact same code and replace the xxxx with your Branch link domain. If you do not what your domain is, please refer to Step 2.)
Step 2: Branch link verification
Please make sure that the link you are testing with belongs to your app. This can easily be verified from the link domain that is present on your Dashboard-> Link settings->Link Domain. The Branch link domain resembles like "xxxx.app.link".
Step 3: Setup verification
Make sure that:
1. Package name on the Manifest file matches EXACTLY with what is configured on Link Settings.
2. There is an Activity with an intent filter having the scheme EXACTLY the as configured in the URI scheme section on Dashboard->Link Settings-Android->URI Scheme. This usually is your app's splash activity.
3. URI scheme host in manifest matches Branch link. Our docs recommend "host=open", but if you have $deeplink_path with something other than "open", then the link will fail to open the app.
Step 3: Platform Behavior Verification
Clicking the Branch link from different apps such as Facebook, Twitter etc. can produce different redirection behaviors. Please make sure you go-through the expected behaviors of the various known platforms as mentioned in our documentation.
Step 4: Advanced Branch link verification(These verifications may vary for different link behaviors and are only for advanced use-cases)
If you are using the $android_deeplink_path Branch link property, instead of using the custom key-value Branch link property, you would need to make sure you have set the URI scheme path in the Manifest file to handle that incoming URI scheme. Branch will append the value in $android_deeplink_path to your app's URI scheme so ensure that there is a corresponding intent filter.
Step 8: Still unable to open the app on Android?
Feel free to submit a ticket here with
a. Your app Branch key,
b. Branch link you are testing with,
c. Your test build of the Android app.
Please note that without the above information, it will be difficult for us to provide a speedy resolution.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback